Thursday, February 12, 2009

Security of Networking Sites and Micro-blogging Sites

http://www.internetnews.com/webcontent/article.php/3802326/Spammers+Hijack+Facebook+Group+of+15+Million.htm

Internetnews reported that Facebook was hit with spammers on Febuary 11, 2009.

This has been a common problem for social networking sites and micro-blogging sites since they have started up. In January Twitter.com was hit with hackers promoting people to change their passwords.

Security of these sites is one of my biggest complaints. Not only is it easy for hackers to launch malicious attacks on its users but sites such as Facebook ask you to verify your account using your cell phone.

I did recently verify my account using my cell phone and soon after I looked at my account profile. I was shocked to see that my cell phone number was listed. I deleted my phone number as soon as I saw it but the number had already been put into a old high school friends blackberry.

A week later on my way home from work I get a text message from someone I didn't know. I sent a reply text asking "who they were?' to which the rely I received was "hey its Wade I got your phone number from Facebook." This is a big concern for me, I have several friends who I don't necessarily want them to have access to my phone number but I do not mind them being able to see me on the internet.

I feel Social Networking sites still have a long way to come in their tightening of security. I hope that they feel the same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment